Saturday, December 1, 2018

Periods of letting go

While this Seth quote refers to a specific precognitive exercise that Rob and Jane were doing, it does emphasize that the intellect works best when it is given periods of "letting go" rather than being always constrained to work in a rigid, 3D linear time framework with linear, logical sequences.

For me, my moments of "letting go" occur in meditation and sleep.

When I was a student in university (and knew nothing of the Seth material), I was studying quantum mechanics and other advanced topics in mathematics and physics.  When I came to a problem I couldn't solve .... I just put my head down and literally slept on it (even in exams!) ... then I'd spontaneously awake with the answer.

Later, I quit doing this because nobody else did it and I thought I was cheating and not learning ... now that I'm familiar with the Seth material, I know better!

You can see from my comments, that this was something I used to do spontaneously too … until I tried to conform to the rigidly structured world of engineering!  Mind you, with the type of safety critical things I was doing in flight testing and engineering, there was limited room for creativity … you had to demonstrate logically that a design was safe before people would trust it.  It seems odd now, that with AI, we’ve lost that whole concept of absolute design integrity as a requirement for safety … and we let AI do the “letting go” for us without really knowing what all of the consequences will be.  Too bad the engineering world has outsourced “letting go” to computers rather than using the technique themselves … we would be a lot further ahead if they did what Seth describes here!

“…see how important periods of letting go are.  Your experience happened when you were nearly asleep, but merely relaxed, not worrying, with your intellect in a kind of free flow.  You were not hampering it.  It was momentarily free of limiting beliefs, and it naturally used – and chose to use – the magical approach to answer what was a very simple, now-forgotten intellectual question: What might be in today’s newspaper?
“The usual answer, or the usual method of obtaining an answer, was at the time inconvenient …
“It did not give you the bare headline, however – even though that and the story were perceived far too quickly for you to follow.  What you were aware of were your own creative reveries in response to that information.
“Now left alone, the intellect will often solve problems in just such a fashion, when it is allowed to, when you forget what is supposed to be possible and what is not, when you forget that your mind is supposed pedestrian and parochial.”
(The Magical Approach: Seth Speaks About The Art Of Creative LivingSession Thirteen)

No comments:

Post a Comment